Thick and comforting, this paleo Brunswick Stew will have you filling your belly with its tangy sweetness over and over!
The ultimate comfort.
As I write up this recipe post, it’s finally winter. Cold, dreary, rainy, blahhhh… All that weather makes me want just one thing. Soup. Well, maybe two things, ’cause a cup of hot cocoa would be extra nice, too.
But soup. It’s pretty much the ultimate comfort food when the weather gets cold and rainy.
Enter Brunswick Stew.
Even though I’ve been living in the south for years, and making soup for even longer, Brunswick Stew is pretty new to me. After having a friend over for a pulled pork dinner one night she commented that I could make Brunswick Stew with the leftovers. I was immediately on board. Anything that uses leftovers is a great recipe in my opinion!
Originally from Brunswick, Georgia, Brunswick Stew is a thick, tomato-based soup with pulled pork and/or chicken, corn, and butter beans. Of course, corn is pretty much a no-no for me, and butter beans are… disgusting. Sorry southern people, it’s true.
Since it’s a *leftover* soup, I could pretty much just add in any leftovers I had, right? So instead of corn and butter beans, I opted for Brussels sprouts, carrots, and green beans.
And a new family favorite was born.
Just in time for the cold, rainy, soup-perfect days of winter.
Brunswick Stew also usually comes full of things like Carolina BBQ sauce (which, if you’re not from the Carolinas you probably wouldn’t think of as BBQ sauce), hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Instead of these flavorings, I opted for more paleo options: maple syrup, molasses, coconut aminos, and honey mustard dressing. And I used some paprika instead of the hot sauce.
Other comforting soupy favorites.
If you love the idea of this paleo Brunswick stew, and all the soups in general, here are a few more of my family’s favorites. They’re all paleo, refined sugar-free, and full of nourishing ingredients.
- Italian Wedding Soup in the Instant Pot
- Creamy Roasted Red Pepper, Sausage & Cauliflower Soup
- Beef & Kale Soup in the Instant Pot
- Creamy Squash & Apple Soup
- Sage & Sausage Cauliflower Soup
- Creamy Fish & Veggie Chowder
In the recipe card I’ve linked to some of the products from my affiliate partners that I like to use. Purchasing through these links won’t cost you anything extra. Thanks!
Paleo Brunswick Stew in the Instant Pot
Free from grain, gluten, eggs, dairy, and refined sugar.
- 2 tablespoons fat (bacon grease, avocado oil, etc.)
- 1 yellow onion, minced or diced
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1 quart organic broth (chicken, beef, veggie, whatever)
- 1 – 14 ounce can organic diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard dressing (I like my easy homemade dressing, or Tessa Mae’s)
- 1 tablespoon EACH maple syrup and molasses (omit for GAPS diet)
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound green beans, fresh or frozen
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, fresh or frozen
- 2 carrots, coined
- 4 cups leftover organic pulled pork (you can totally use chicken, if you’d rather!)
In your Instant Pot liner, heat fat on the ‘sauté‘ setting. When hot, add onions and sauté until translucent. Stir in garlic and sweat for a minute.
Add in remaining ingredients, place on the lid, seal, and set to ‘manual’ for 2 minutes.
When the time is up, quick release the pressure and enjoy!
If you have a no-chunky tomatoes person in your family, puree the diced tomatoes in the blender before adding to the Instant Pot.