Enjoy pasta again with these grain-free Summer Squash Zoodles with Chicken Sausage Alfredo Sauce!
This post contains affiliate links, FYI.
I just love it when my mail is tasty.
The other day I received a cooler in the mail full of delicious chicken sausage from First Fresh and my mind immediately filled with dreams of delicious recipes to make with it! Of course it would go well for breakfast with eggs from my backyard chickens. And it would be wonderful in a soup, or jambalaya. But my taste buds settled on pairing the chicken sausage with a creamy alfredo sauce.
While I could eat alfredo sauce on just about anything, of course it goes best with pasta.
Though my blog might not always reflect it, I don’t eat that much grain. I find that eating too much of anything other than sourdough gives me stomach issues and also seems to lower my immune system. So I tend to try and make things grain-free, if possible. Which is a tad hard when you’ve got a hankering for pasta…
Oodles of zoodles.
The good thing about summer is – yep – summer squash. Everyone’s garden seems to be literally overflowing with them. Except mine, of course… Me and my incurable brown thumb. So I get my zucchini and courgettes from friends. 😀
Now, I love zucchini in multiple ways, raw, grilled, fried, scalloped with cheese, in cakes, in smoothies… Yeah, I’m a big fan of the stuff! And one of my favorite ways to use zucchini is making zoodles. 🙂 If you’ve never had zoodles, you are missing out, my friend! Not only are they a healthy and delicious grain-free pasta option, they are also stinkin’ fun to make!
So with my chicken sausage, and my alfredo sauce, I threw in some zoodles!
Chicken to the rescue!
Another thing you might not know about me, I don’t usually eat pork. In fact, pork usually makes me sick – even the organic kind. 🙁 So I usually limit my intake to the every-now-and-again bacon recipe (like these uh-mazing cookies), or some grain-free tacos on a rare occasion. Sausage doesn’t usually make the list. So imagine my delight when First Fresh sent me not one, but three different kinds of delicious chicken sausage!
And their chicken sausage isn’t only 100% gluten-free, it’s also free of MSG and nitrates! Triple win. 🙂
I wasn’t the only one who enjoyed the sausage, my family went crazy over it, as well! I practically had to guard it while I prepared this dish! Yeah… being a food blogger mom can be tough with five little scavengers hanging around!
In the recipe card I’ve linked to some of the products from my affiliate partners that I like to use. Purchasing through these links won’t cost you anything extra, but I will earn a small percentage.
- Wash squash and zoodle-ify using a spiralizer (here's the one I use). Sprinkle with salt, and set aside.
- Cook up the sausage, then slice up. Set aside.
- While sausage is cooking, melt butter in medium-sized saucepan, over medium heat. When butter is melted, add in garlic and saute for a minute or two, until fragrant. Stir in gf flour or starch and whisk until a paste is formed.
- Add milk and whisk until thickened.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, onion powder, and cheese.
- When the cheese is melted, stir in the cooked sausage. Turn the heat down to low and prepare the zoodles.
- Take the spiralized squash and fry lightly in butter or oil for 3-4 minutes. Place in a colander and let drain for a few minutes.
- Serve warm sauce over zoodles.
You’ll also enjoy these recipes…