If you like chocolate chip cookies, then you’ll love this gluten-free Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake with Whipped Cream Frosting!
A new four year old.
This past week we celebrated my fourth child’s fourth birthday. Even though she’s not a carb-lover, when I asked her if she wanted cake she said yes.
Last year I made her a watermelon cake, which was a huge hit, since she loves watermelon. But this year she asked for a chocolate chip cookie cake!
I’d never tried baking a cookie cake, or pizza cookie, or anything like that, but I have made cookie bars before, so I figured it couldn’t be that different. For my inspiration, I used my friend Brianna’s giant chocolate chip cookie recipe from her delicious book The Essential Gluten-Free Cookie Guide. (If you want a little preview of her book, check out my Bacon Cookies post!)
This Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake is ridiculously easy to make. You basically just make a double batch of chocolate chip cookies, bake them in cake pans, and slap the giant cookies together with frosting. And the whipping cream frosting is sooo delish.
After all my slaving away (kidding, it really is a super easy cake) my little anti-carb child scraped off all the frosting, took two bites, and said she was done.
Sigh. Some days you just can’t win.
Don’t let her reaction fool you though, this cake really is delicious! My hubby and I ate all the leftovers at nap time. 😉
In the recipe card I’ve linked to some of the products from my affiliate partners that I like to use. Purchasing through these links won’t cost you anything extra, but I will earn a small percentage that will go to help support and maintain this site and its free content. Thanks! 😉
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1/2 c. butter, melted
- 3/4 c. evaporated cane juice, or coconut sugar
- 1 T. molasses
- 4 eggs
- 1 T. vanilla (I like to use my homemade extract)
- 1 1/2 t. guar gum
- 1 t. baking powder (I make my own - it's easy!)
- 1 c. brown rice flour
- 1 c. sorghum flour
- 1/2 c. tapioca starch
- 1/2 c. arrowroot powder
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 and line two 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, place the sour cream. Melt the butter and pour over sour cream. Stir to melt the sour cream, then beat in the sugar and molasses. Add in the eggs and vanilla.
- Add all the dry ingredients over the wet ones and mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread half the dough into each prepared pan. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the cakes.
- Dump giant cookies onto cooling racks and cool completely.
- Prepare Whipping Cream Frosting (recipe below), and frost the top of the first cookie. Place the second cookie on top and frost the top of it as well as the sides of the cake.
- 1/2 pint whipping cream
- 2 T. evaporated cane juice or coconut sugar (or honey)
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- Place a metallic, glass, or ceramic bowl in the freezer, along with hand beaters.
- When bowl and beaters are chilled (and cookies are completely cooled), pour the cream, sweetener, and vanilla into the chilled bowl and beat on high until it forms stiff-ish peaks.
- Frost cookies.
All the birthdays.
Not only did my fourth turn 4 this month, my second turned 8 (she opted for my gluten-free Strawberry Shortcake for her party)!
My foodie-friend Sharon from over at What the Fork is having a birthday this month, as well! For her birthday she decided to host this uh-mazing giveaway: a Kitchen Aid 5-qt. stand mixer (choose between Green Apple, Ice, Aqua Sky, Cranberry, Metallic Chrome, or White), a prize package from Rodelle Vanilla, and a $100 gift card to Sweetapolita! The giveaway runs from July 18, 2016 12AM EST through August 17, 2016 12AM EST.
Enter below… and make yourself a Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake – or one of these other birthday treats – while you wait to see if you win. 😉
Gluten Free Coconut Cake – What The Fork Food Blog
Gluten Free Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes – Gluten-Free Palate
Bourbon Tropical Peach Cocktail – Fearless Dining
Kir Royale Cocktails – The Heritage Cook
Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes – My Gluten Free Miami
Gluten Free Cookie Cake – Flippin’ Delicious
Summer Beer – Vegetarian Mamma
The Best Gluten Free Cake – gfJules
Gluten Free Coconut Cream Pie Cupcakes – Good Morning Cali
Must Try Summer Cocktails & Mocktails – A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
Gluten Free Cookie Cake – A Mind “Full” Mom
Strawberry Lychee Panna Cotta – Brunch-n-Bites
Cucumber Moscow Mule – The Culinary Compass
Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes with Mocha Frosting – Only Taste Matters
Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes – Veggie Balance
Virgin Watermelon Margarita – Coffee With Us 3
Elderflower Mojito – Home & Plate
Summertime Lemon Cupcakes – For the Love of Food
Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake Stacks – Simply Healthy Family
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake – Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
Watermelon Mint Gin Fizz – Frugal Foodie Mama
Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake – Raia’s Recipes
Tequila Sunrise Cocktail – All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
Grilled Spicy Pineapple Margarita – Lapetitchef
Gluten Free Fresh Apple Cake – My Gluten-free Kitchen
Pin this Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake for later!
Shared at Family Fun Friday, Free From Fridays, Foodie FriDIY, Full Plate Thursday, Gluten Free Fridays, Happiness Is Homemade, Healthy Happy Green & Natural, Let’s Get Real, Merry Monday, Raising Homemakers, Real Food Friday, Simply Natural Saturdays, Tasty Tuesday, Thank Goodness It’s Monday, the Wednesday Showcase, Weekend Potluck, Weekend Wind Down, Welcome Home Wednesday, You Link It We Make It.