Every now and again I get a hankering for something different – something I’ve never made before. And every now and again I also get a craving for bacon. These tasty Bacon Cheddar Scones fit the bill on both those counts. They’re different than my usual
chocolate fare, and they’re full of crispy, delicious bacon.
These scones actually came about thanks to my mom. I really never buy bacon, but every time my parents come to visit us they bring pounds and pounds of bacon. Seriously. They just came for a week-long visit (during which my mom helped deliver my fifth child – but that’s another story) and now I have 10 pounds of bacon in my freezer.
What is one to do with all that bacon? Of course I whipped up a batch of these delicious Bacon Cookies, and we’ve been eating it for breakfast at least twice a week, but I’m still left with a lot of bacon.
Then the brilliant idea of these scones entered my mind. When I proposed the idea to my husband he said, “Sounds like a win-win to me.” Well, that settled it. Out came some bacon and a block of cheddar cheese, and into the bowl it went.
And they’re definitely winners. My 6-year old is still remembering them fondly a week later… so you know they’re good. 😉
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Combine the milk and apple cider vinegar/kombucha in a liquid measuring cup and set aside to curdle.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, starch, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a pastry cutter, or two knives, cut in butter until coarse crumbs are evenly distributed throughout the flour mixture.
- Mix in cheese and bacon.
- Whisk egg into the milk mixture, then slowly pour into the flour/butter mixture, stirring while pouring.
- Scrape dough onto a cookie sheet and spread out with a spoon or spatula into a 10-12 inch disk.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on the edges.
- Cut and serve with lots of delicious butter.
- My inspiration for the base of the scone recipe came from my friend Ali's Gluten-Free Scones.