Living in the south, a good cornbread recipe is pretty much a necessity. You simply cannot have chili, a BBQ, or a church potluck without a pan of fluffy, golden cornbread. This Gluten-Free Buttermilk Cornbread is my go-to recipe for such occasions. It’s quick and easy to whip up, and a crowd-pleaser every time.
Sadly, my husband, who is most definitely not from the south, has never liked cornbread. When we first went gluten-free 4 years ago, I could tell when my bread concoctions where a failure when he would comment, “It tastes fine, but it has a texture of cornbread.”
Thankfully in four years I’ve been able to move past the “cornbread” stage of gluten-free baking. And now that we are cornbread-texture-free, and living in the south, I decided it was high time I came up with a cornbread that wasn’t too “cornbready” – if you know what I mean. I’ve found that using masa harina, instead of cornmeal, helps rectify this “issue!”
According to my husband, this cornbread fits the bill. 😉
In the recipe card I’ve linked to some of the products from my affiliate partners that I like to use. Purchasing through these links won’t cost you anything extra, but I will earn a small percentage that will go to help support and maintain this site and its free content. Thanks! 😉
- Preheat oven to 425 and grease a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- In liquid measuring cup, combine milk and apple cider vinegar. Let stand until curdled - about 5 minutes.
- In large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- When the buttermilk is curdled, whisk in the eggs and honey.
- Pour over dry ingredients and mix well, working quickly.
- Pour and gently spread into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until the middle springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick comes out clean.
This is shared at Allergy Free Wednesdays, Anti-Procrastination Tuesday, Awesome Life Friday, Blogger’s Brags, Fat Tuesday, Five Friday Finds, Foodie Friday, Fridays Unfolded, Gluten Free Fridays, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Marvelous Monday, Merry Monday, Raising Homemakers, Real Food Fridays, Tasty Tuesdays, Tell ‘Em Tuesday, Thank Goodness It’s Monday, Tuesday’s Table, Two Cup Tuesday, Waste Not Want Not.