Being a parent is hard.
Dark hot chocolate shots to the rescue.
- Dark Chocolate Triple Berry Muffins
- Dark Chocolate Banana Coconut Cookies
- Personal Pan Dark Chocolate Breakfast Brownie
- Healthy Dark Chocolate Marshmallows
- Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
- Dark Chocolate Peppermint Truffles
As far as cocoa powder goes, I really really love this fair-trade, organic cocoa powder from Azure Standard. It’s amazing! And when you compare it with whatever you can find in the store or on Amazon that’s the same quality, it’s an amazing price, too.
For the coconut cream, I use what I can scoop off the top of my homemade coconut milk. Admittedly, homemade coconut milk doesn’t produce as much cream as the canned stuff. So if you’re needing to make a lot of this, Native Forest is my favorite store-bought brand of coconut milk. It doesn’t contain any extra ingredients, like most canned coconut milks do. They also sell canned coconut cream (which does contain guar gum), if you want to spend the extra and just use that.
Rum. It’s for adults only. It is paleo, but it’s not for the GAPS diet, in case you were wondering. If you’re an adult, but don’t want to have alcohol in your house, you can use imitation rum. And of course, you could always just leave it out for a nice, safe G-rated version. 😉
In the recipe card I’ve linked to some of the products from my affiliate partners that I like to use. Purchasing through these links won’t cost you anything extra. Thanks!
Dark Hot Chocolate Shots
Free from gluten, grain, dairy, eggs, and refined sugar.
- 3-4 tablespoons cocoa powder (I love this organic fair-trade stuff!)
- 2 tablespoons honey (or more, if you don’t want it quite so dark)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (I just use the cream off the top of my homemade coconut milk)
- pinch Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (I like to make my own)
- 1 teaspoon rum or imitation rum extract, for optional super adult version (leave out for GAPS)
Whisk cocoa and honey together in a small saucepan.
Turn heat to medium-low and whisk in coconut cream and salt.
Continue to whisk until smooth and heated through (don’t boil it!).
Remove from heat, and stir in extract(s).
Pour into your favorite espresso mug and enjoy!