Fall in the south.
I know it doesn’t compare to the weather in Montana, but fall has hit South Carolina. Chilly mornings and evenings, and perfect afternoons, with crimson and golden leaves blowing everywhere.
Unfortunately, along with fall, comes the end of daylight savings. Before I had six crazy kids, I loved it. Now, not so much. I know it’s supposed to mean that you get an extra hour. But all it really means for a momma is one extra hour with one extra grumpy toddler.
All the soups.
All this chilliness and tiredness makes me crave one thing… soup. And the easier and more comforting the better! Good thing pretty much all soup is easy and comforting.
This beef soup with herbed dumplings is perfect for said chill and tiredness. It’s full of comforting herb-packed gluten-free dumplings and hearty, nourishing broth. The dumplings are made from rice flour, which gives the soup a fun asian flair, too.
Here are a few more nourishing, comforting soups, if you’re looking for a fall meal plan… 😉
- Ginger, White Bean & Chicken Soup
- Quick & Easy Veggie Lentil Soup
- Creamy Squash & Apple Soup
- Beef & Kale Soup in the Instant Pot
- Sage & Sausage Cauliflower Soup
- Quick & Easy Potato Soup in the Instant Pot
- Grilled Pork & Split Pea Soup
- Italian Wedding Soup in the Instant Pot
- Creamy Roasted Red Pepper, Sausage & Cauliflower Soup
In the recipe card I’ve linked to some of the products from my affiliate partners that I like to use. Purchasing through these links won’t cost you anything extra. Thanks!
Easy Beef Soup with Herbed Dumplings
Free from gluten, dairy, and sugar.
For the soup:
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, lard, or tallow
- 1/2 large yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1-2 pounds thawed organic ground beef or bison
- 2 quarts beef, chicken, or veggie stock
- water to cover (however much is necessary)
- Himalayan salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
For the dumplings:
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dill
- 1/4 teaspoon tarragon
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk
In large pot, sauté onions in oil until translucent, then add in garlic and sauté for a minute.
Add in ground beef and cook until just browned.
Combine remaining soup ingredients and bring to a boil.
In large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
Cut in butter until crumbly, then slowly stir in milk until slightly sticky dough forms.
When beef is cooked, drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough (or larger, if you like) into boiling soup.
Boil until dumplings are cooked through – about 5 minutes.