Some days you just need a good chocolate cake…
Well, I could actually go for one everyday, but I usually exercise self-control and restrain myself. This lovely cake joins two of my favorites cake flavors: peppermint and buttermilk. Together, they’re wonderful.
- 2 T. flax meal plus enough water to make 1/2 cup
- 1/4 c. coconut oil
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1/2 c. coconut milk (here's how to make your own)
- 2 t. apple cider vinegar
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. vanilla extract (I like to make my own)
- 1/2 t. peppermint extract
- 1/4 c. cocoa powder
- 3/4 c. sorghum flour
- 1/4 c. arrowroot powder
- 1/2 t. xanthan gum
- 3/4 c. dairy-free chocolate chips (these are my favorite ones!)
- Preheat oven to 325 a grease a 9x9 inch baking dish.
- In liquid measuring cup, combine flax meal and enough water to make 1/2 cup. Set aside to gel.
- In small saucepan, melt coconut oil, honey, and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. Stir in flax and water mixture. In same liquid measuring cup combine milk, apple cider vinegar, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together remaining dry ingredients. Stir in all liquid ingredients and remaining chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared dish and bake for 35-40 minutes. Cool before frosting.