For many years now, eggnog has been one of my favorite holiday treats. Every year when it starts showing up in the grocery stores, I get excited.
But do I ever buy it? No way.
Most of the conventional brands contain way too much sugar for my body to handle, as well as other ingredients I’m not too keen on ingesting… Like everything else, homemade is the way to do it! The quality is worth the extra time.
And so, every year, I set about making my eggnog from scratch. A traditional batch can take a while to mix up, but this year, seeing as we now live in the sunny-all-year south, I decided to make it into a tasty smoothie.
Yep, raw egg yolks.
Though I used to shy away from eating raw eggs, due to allergies and general misinformation, since my family’s stint with the GAPS diet, I’ve realized that eating the raw yolks from fresh, pastured, free-range chicken eggs is one of the best ways for me to digest them.
In case you haven’t heard, egg yolks contain more vitamins than the whites, like B6, folate, B12, A, D, E, and K. The yolks also contain 90 percent of the egg’s calcium and iron! And, contrary to some popular opinion, egg yolks are actually very good for your heart; eating them has been shown to lower the risk of heart disease and improve overall cardiovascular health. Just remember, like in everything: all things in moderation!
- 2 c. milk of choice (I like to use raw milk, or my homemade coconut)
- 2 raw yolks from farm fresh eggs
- 1 t. grass-fed gelatin (optional)
- 2 very ripe spotted bananas (the riper the bananas, the more "rummy" the eggnog!)
- 1 T. vanilla extract (I like to use my homemade stuff)
- 2 T. honey
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1/8 t. nutmeg
- dash salt
- 2 c. ice
- Place milk and egg yolks in blender (I like to use my trusty Bendtec). Sprinkle with gelatin and then add remaining ingredients, with the ice on top, and blend until smooth. Enjoy!
- Makes about 4 adult servings, or in my case 2 adult servings and 4 child-sized ones. 😉
This recipe is shared at Allergy Free Wednesdays, Clever Chicks, Family Fun Friday, Fat Tuesday, Five Friday Finds, Flashback Friday, Foodie Friday, Found & Foraged, Fridays Unfolded, From the Archives, From the Farm, Full Plate Thursday, Gluten Free Fridays, Gluten Free Recipe Fix, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Great Idea Thursdays, Let’s Get Real, Mama Moments Monday, Marvelous Monday, Mostly Homemade Mondays, Motivational Mondays, Natural Family Fridays, Pennywise Platter, Raising Homemakers, Real Food Friday, Saturday Night Fever, Savoring Saturdays, Show Me Saturdays, Simple Lives Sunday, Simple Saturdays, Simply Natural Saturdays, Tasty Tuesday, Thank Goodness It’s Monday, Thrifty Thursdays, Two Cup Tuesday, What to Do Weekends.