Colcannon is really a pretty simple dish: just boiled potatoes and boiled cabbage mashed together. Some versions add in things like ham, or bacon, or cream, but I don’t usually have any of those things on hand, so I just add in what I’ve got! Garlic, and parmesan.
If you’re dairy-free, you can easily leave out the parmesan, and exchange the butter and milk for broth or water from boiling the veggies.
In the recipe card I’ve linked to some of the products from my affiliate partners that I like to use. Purchasing through these links won’t cost you anything extra, but I will earn a small percentage that will go to help support and maintain this site and its free content. Thanks! 😉
- 6 large potatoes
- 1 small head cabbage (or about 6 cups, chopped)
- 1/2 c. milk, cream, stock or water from boiling
- 1/4 c. butter (optional)
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1/4 c. parmesan cheese (optional)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Slice potatoes into bite-sized chunks. In large pot, bring potatoes to a boil in just enough stock or water to cover. Reduce heat and simmer until tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the potatoes to a large bowl and smash/mash (I used my Kitchen Aid mixer, but you can use a hand masher, too) along with the butter, milk, and garlic.
- In the same pot and water, add in the cabbage, covering with a little more water, if needed. Boil until tender.
- Strain out water, and add cabbage to the mashed potatoes.
- Add parmesan and salt to taste.
This recipe is shared at Allergy Free Wednesdays, All Things Thursday, Anti-Procrastination Tuesday, Clever Chicks Blog Hop, Faith Filled Parenting, Family Fun Friday, Fight Back Friday, Foodie FriDIY, From the Archives, From the Farm, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Full Plate Thursday, Gluten Free Fridays,Gluten Free Recipe Fix, Happy Healthy Green & Natural, Hearth & Soul, Homestead Barn Hop, Inspiration Thursday, Inspire Me Mondays, Let’s Get Real, Mostly Homemade Mondays, Motivation Monday, Raising Homemakers, Real Food Friday, Savoring Saturdays, Shine, Simple Lives Thursday, Simply Natural Saturdays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Tasty Traditions, Tasty Tuesdays, TGI Saturday, Thank Goodness It’s Monday, Throwback Thursday, the Wednesday Showcase, What I’m Eating, Welcome Home Wednesday, Wellness Wednesdays.