“You want a bite?” I kindly asked. He did.
After chewing thoughtfully, he told me, “I don’t like it.”
“Why?” I asked, “Because it’s buckwheat?”
“No, it doesn’t have any sweet in it.”
“Well, that’s because it’s for breakfast!”
And his snide reply?
“Oh, excuse me. I forgot you’re a stickler for ‘no sweets for breakfast.'”
Fine. I’ll just eat the whole thing myself. Topped with peanut butter… and chocolate… Because he’s right. I believe breakfast is the best time to consume sweets. (The next best time is nap-time.)
If your spouse is like mine, feel free to enjoy all of the non-sweetness of this wonderful breakfast alone, but watch out for kids…. 🙂
- 1/2 c. + 2 T. buckwheat flour
- 1 heaping T. flax meal (or chia meal, but I haven't tested that)
- 2 T. cocoa powder
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. baking powder (I like to make my own, find out how here.)
- 6 T. applesauce or mashed banana
- 1 t. vanilla (I like to make my own)
- 6 T. - 1/2 c. water (less water if using applesauce, more if using banana)
- 1/4 c. peanut butter
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 2 T. chopped dairy-free chocolate (I love this kind!)
- Preheat oven to 375 and lightly grease a 6 inch baking dish or pie plate.
- Whisk together dry ingredients, then make a little well in the center.
- Add remaining ingredients to the well, then mix quickly and thoroughly.
- Pour and smooth into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until brownie springs back when lightly touched.
- Spread with peanut butter and sliced banana, and sprinkle with chopped chocolate.
- Devour. :)
- Adapted from Edible Perspective.
Pin this Buckwheat Breakfast Brownie for later!
This recipe is shared at Allergy Free Wednesdays, Anti-Procrastination Tuesday, Faith Filled Parenting, From the Archives, Full Plate Thursday, Happy Healthy Green & Natural, Hearth & Soul, The Homestead Barn Hop, Inspiration Thursday, Inspired Me Mondays, Mostly Homemade Mondays, Raising Homemakers, Simply Natural Saturdays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Clever Chicks Blog Hop, the Wednesday Showcase, Welcome Home Wednesdays.