On chilly fall mornings, nothing warms you up like a nice hot plate of breakfast comfort food. One of my favorites has always been apple crisp.
The warm, crunchy sweetness of the topping combined with the softness of the apples drenched in their syrup makes it the perfect breakfast or dessert.
This grain-free version is perfect for people cutting back on their starch intake, or following a paleo or GAPS style diet. The walnuts make an excellent substitution for oats in the topping, perhaps making the crisp even better than “normal.” 😉
Just beware that you may need to make a double batch… Husbands and kiddos can’t get enough of it!
In the recipe card I’ve linked to some of the products from my affiliate partners that I like to use. Purchasing through these links won’t cost you anything extra, but I will earn a small percentage that will go to help support and maintain this site and its free content. Thanks! 😉
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place chopped apples in 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In small bowl, whisk together spices and salt. Sprinkle over apples and stir to evenly coat.
- Drizzle with 1/4 cup of the honey and stir to evenly coat apples.
- In same small bowl, cut coconut oil in to walnuts until no chunks of oil remain. Stir in honey, then sprinkle mixture over apples, breaking it up with your hands as you go.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until apples are tender.