Even though we live in the south, nothing quite hits the spot on a 90 degree summer evening like hot biscuits and gravy. My kids always get excited when they realize biscuits & gravy are for dinner, and I might just do a little happy dance as well… 😉
This dish is usually made with ground pork, or breakfast sausage, but my family doesn’t handle pork very well, so my version uses ground beef, instead. You can feel free to use whatever meat you want.
If you’re dairy-free (which I should be – ha!), this recipe works well with rice milk, as well.
- 1 recipe biscuits, such as my Fluffy Flax & Buttermilk Biscuits or Fully Buttermilk Biscuits
- 1-2 T. fat, such as coconut oil, tallow, lard, or butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 T. minced garlic
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/4-1/2 t. ground black pepper
- 1/4 t. paprika (or chili powder, for a little zing!)
- 1/2 t. kosher salt
- 1/2 t. oregano
- 1 T. parsley
- 1 T. starch, such as arrowroot, tapioca, or potato starch
- 1 c. milk of choice (for dairy-free, use homemade rice milk)
- Prepare biscuit dough.
- While the biscuits are baking, saute onions over medium heat in oil until translucent.
- Add in garlic and ground meat.
- Add in spices to taste.
- When meat is almost cooked through, sprinkle with starch and mix well.
- Pour in milk 1/3 cup at a time, stirring until thickened after each addition.
- Serve hot over hot biscuits.
Shared at Allergy Free Wednesdays,